Monday, January 30, 2012

Day 12: West Maui

Wake up a bit early this morning thanks to a friendly neighborhood rooster, but this is remedied quickly by closing the door and going back to sleep.

When it’s really time to get up I drag myself out of bed and get some more fantastic travel tips from our hosts. They really are the nicest hosts anyone could wish for!

More yummy fresh cut fruit and yoghurt for breakfast then we go back on route 30, this time a little further north to Ka’anapili, but first a quick stop at the 8th mile marker to watch the whales. There’s some definite whale activity going on in multiple places, but they’re pretty far out so unless you came prepared with binoculars it’s hard to see just what’s what. Still it's a great view.


Anyway, so today we’re going snorkeling at Black Rock, located on the grounds of the super fancy Sheraton resort. We’ve walked through and at times even stayed at a lot of high end resorts, but I have to admit this really is a NICE place.


No public parking unfortunately, but it’s so worth the money. Like I said the grounds are amazing, lush greens everywhere with beautiful tropical flowers and everything just flows together.

The property is located on a stretch of perfect soft sand with calm crystal clear water lapping the shore. There’s a few boats docked off shore, some paddle boarders floating by and of course lots of snorkelers around the right end where black rock is at.


The people sitting next to us all reported a strong current swimming to or back, but I didn’t notice it at all myself. The water is amazingly clear and even though it’s a smaller area there are a lot of fish and quite a few varieties. Lots of trumpetfish and unicornfish. Unfortunately, shortly after entering the water the battery indicator on the camera started flashing low and 10 minutes later it was completely dead L
This is all I got ... oooh yeah nice clarity here!


Pacific trumpetfish in bright, bright yellow


Black (?) triggerfish

Last picture of the day ... I think it's also a trumpetfish. There were tons of them in all different colors, pretty good camouflage artists.


I'll admit, I'm a camera junkie so when the battery petered out so did my desire to keep snorkeling. It's still fun, but I know I'd be frustrated if I ran into something really cool. Besides, lots to see on land as well.

And then there’s the local youth jumping off one of the cliffs …. yet another thing that’s still on my bucket list. I don’t want to do anything stupid, but after watching them do it for a while and having seen the landing area while I was snorkeling it’s hard to come up with reasons not to.


Of course, I realized as soon as I started climbing up the rock that that part looks a lot easier than it really was – or maybe I just don’t know where to put my free? – but a busted knee aside I make it to the top unscathed. Looks pretty freakin’ high from the top by the way! Eek!

Jump! Here I've just jumped off the ledge on the right




Woohoo! Now that was fun! But there's places to go, people to see, so we vow to return to Black Rock later this week and continue our exploration of West Maui.

Lahaina is supposed to be really cool place to wander around so I Tripadvisor the top places to eat and find a place called the Gazebo. Of course it turns out to be a ways north from Black Rock instead of downtown Lahaina, but that actually works out great since we’re headed that way anyway.

The Gazebo is a cute little restaurant overlooking beautiful Napili Bay that serves breakfast and lunch only. I’m all set on a plate lunch when I find out they’re still serving breakfast … uhoh. That adds a whole lot more options and how can I possibly resist white chocolate chip pancakes?! They are, by the way, to die for. Yum Yum Yum.

After “lunch” we take some time to explore Napili Bay. Looks like they’ve got some great boogie boarding here.


Honolau Bay has some of the best, if not the best, snorkeling on Maui, but today a large winter swell has rolled in and everyone is out watching the surfers. It’s unbelievable the amount of surfers waiting in the line-up and they’re pretty aggressive about whose wave it is too. Don’t mess with da local boys, bra!


Looks like a different place closer to shore 


Still the surfers are pretty far out and Pipe’s got us spoiled so we press on.

Next stop, the Nakalele blowhole. Pretty amazing! Basicially the ocean has eroded part of the lava shelf and is now forcing itself through the narrow opening.  Sandy watches from the top while I scramble down the “path” to the bottom for a closer view ... see the tiny people in the picture?


There’s two German tourists playing near the blowhole … talk about playing with fire! Oh wait, that was yesterday :-P



 Cute sweetheart opening in the rock.


The blowhole is spouting every few seconds, mostly just a small fine mist, but occasionally big sprays like this one. I read that when it's really roaring it can spout 70 feet high!


At this point the road has gotten pretty squiggly with wondrous ocean vistas waiting behind every turn, while on the mauka (=mountain) side a vibrant green bears witness to the large amount of rain this area receives. Quite the contrast with the dry area we’re staying in.




Quick picture of Gracie, the Nissan


The last stop before we turn around is the controversial Olivine Pools. I say controversial because they are both beloved by reckless tourists and reviled by locals who have seen bad things happen there one too many times. Again the “path” leading down is a mess so I scramble down by myself to get a closer look. No one’s taking a dip while I’m there and with the waves crashing on the rocks that’s just as well. Definitely pretty, but not a real blow-me-away experience either.




Probably the safest drive from that point is to return the way we came so we back track the whole twisting way, stopping only to take pictures here and there (it’s much easier to stop as most of the viewpoint are on this side of the road).
On the way up we missed Makalua-puna Point, better known as the Dragon’s Teeth, an area where the wind and the ocean have shaped and colored old lava to look like a row of shark’s teeth. The get there we have to walk along the edge of the Ritz Carlton golf course -- perfectly manicured of course. I actually check out the different lengths of the grass for the various zones and I swear they’re cutting it by hand using a ruler or something. Holy smokes! I can only hope that we don’t accidently dislodge a sod lest we lose our home.


Fortunately we make it to the teeth without any incident and it’s another fabulous view. They look really awesome in the late afternoon sun.






It’s almost sunset by the time we cruise into Lahaina; just in time to get some shave ice from #1 rated Ululani and watch the sun disappear behind one of the other islands (Molokai, I believe). This is THE world’s best shaved ice btw! I get a scoop of vanilla ice cream with kiwi, passion fruit and melona shaved ice. OMG, the melona is out of this world good! I am so going to come back to this place!



Lahaina’s downtown area is very cute and quirky with a mix of tourist trap souvenir shop, surf gear, restaurants and art galleries all thrown together. We walk past the Baldwin Home but it's closed.

Dusk is falling when we arrive at Banyan tree park. This entire park, about the size of a whole city block, is occupied by one giant banyan tree. It has roots growing down everywhere so it doesn’t even look like it’s all the same tree .. so weird. To make it even weirder there are hundreds or maybe even thousands of birds sitting in the tree and they are making such a ruckus. I wonder if they always do that?



I do an easy climb into the tree, because everyone knows; trees are made for climbing!


Then when we’re walking back to the car I spot a picture of a horse in one of the art galleries, except it’s not just a normal photograph but several images blended together to make it looks like the horses have escaped from a merry-go-round. All the pictures in the window show some kind of optical illusion and we can’t resist stepping inside to view the other work. The artist's name is Thomas Barbey. Who’d have guessed I’d ever step into an art gallery voluntarily? Hahaha. No really, it was great.
It’s been a pretty long day again and tomorrow I’m scheduled to have a wind surfing lesson so it’s time to get to bed!

 Mileage for today:






1 comments:

r.volmer said...

Good morning,

Because this day is the last entry in your blog I waited until sunday.
The fish keep on amazing me. They al have something special. The fish in the first picture seems to be swimming upside down and the triggerfish seems to have loose fins!!
From a distance the jumping from Blackrock looks a bit scary. As if your are very close to the rock when you jump!
The little heart that eroded in the rock is very cute. Dragon teeth is another example of all the wonderfull colours you see on the island. The sand, the rock, the vegetation, the water, the fish, everything has that enormous, amazing scala of colours, I don't think there is another place like it. This is number One vacation destiny.
Banyan tree is a miracle.
This was without a doubt the most impressive place you showed me. I loved to be part of it.
Thank you, lotts of kisses for both of you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Joeve

Post a Comment